What To Wear For a Professional Headshot
When it comes to professional headshots, what you wear can make all the difference. Your headshot is often the first impression a potential employer or client will have of you, so it's important to put your best foot forward. But what to wear for a professional headshot can be a tricky question to answer. Should you go with a classic, conservative look, or something a little more trendy and daring? And what colors and styles are most likely to make you look your best on camera?
Wardrobe Tips for Your Professional Headshot
1. We offer unlimited looks, allowing you to choose as many wardrobes as you want. The more options we have to work with, the better.
2. Keep your wardrobe simple and clean. For traditional headshots, we recommend solid colors.
3. Explore subtle patterns. Patterns are fine for business casual and casual headshots, as long as they don't distract from you.
4. Watch your necklines. Look at your necklines in the mirror prior to deciding what to bring to your headshot session. Remember that your headshots will be cropped slightly below the shoulders.
5. Choose colors that complement your eyes and skin tone.
6. Remember that blues usually go with all eye colors and skin complexions, so consider bringing blue shirts or suit jackets to your session.
7. Feeling comfortable is especially important, so bring clothes that help you to feel like your best self.
For women, there are a lot more options when it comes to what to wear for a professional headshot. A simple blouse or dress in a solid, neutral color can be a great choice. Stay away from anything too trendy or revealing, as you don't want your outfit to distract from your face. It's also a good idea to avoid anything with a bold pattern or stripes, as these can create visual distractions in your photo. Stick to classic cuts and styles that flatter your body type, and make sure your clothes fit well and aren't too tight or too loose.
Regardless of whether you're male or female, it's always a good idea to bring multiple outfits to your headshot photo session. This will give you more options to choose from, and can help you feel more confident and comfortable on camera. Consider bringing a few different tops or blouses, as well as a few different jackets or blazers. You can also play around with accessories like scarves or ties to add some variety to your photos.
When it comes to color, there are a few things to keep in mind. In general, solid, neutral colors like black, white, grey, and navy tend to look the most professional and polished on camera. These colors also tend to be the most flattering for a wide range of skin tones. However, that doesn't mean you have to stick to a completely monochromatic palette. Adding in a pop of color with a brightly colored scarf or tie can add some interest and personality to your photo.
The cut of your shirt is also an important consideration. For men, a well-fitting dress shirt with a collar that fits comfortably around the neck is key. Avoid shirts that are too tight or too loose, as they can create unflattering wrinkles or bulges. For women, a blouse with a simple neckline like a crew neck or V-neck can be a great choice. Avoid anything too low-cut or too revealing, as this can distract from your face.
When it comes to jewelry, the general rule of thumb is less is more. A simple pair of earrings or a small necklace can add a touch of personality to your photo, but it's best to avoid anything too flashy or distracting. Avoid large, chunky necklaces or dangling earrings, as these can draw attention away from your face. Stick to simple, understated pieces that complement your outfit.
If you're in Atlanta, there are plenty of great headshot photographers who can help you capture the perfect professional headshot. But no matter where you are, the key is to take the time to choose the right outfit, and to bring a few different options to your photo session. This will help you feel confident and comfortable, and will give you more options to choose from. Contact us today with any questions you may have about professional headshots.